Sunday, August 30, 2009

Glad To Be Home


I am now home from California. It was a whirlwind of a trip. I drove Katie's car across the country, which was quite enjoyable; I had been wanting to get some alone time, and that trip pretty much provided that. I rolled into Los Angeles on August 18, and I met my wife and daughter on August 19th, which happened to be Betsy's Birthday. Our objective was to move Katie off campus (USC) and into an apartment with her roommate, Amanda. Mission accomplished. There was lots of schlepping and lots of shopping, but we got it together. Unfortunately I didn't have the time I would have liked to have had to visit friends, but that will have to wait until next time. Now that Katie is settled in, there will be lots more time for leisure on our next visit. I am kicking around the notion of going to the TAXI Road Rally in November.

We stayed at the Westin Bonaventure. I wasn't entirely happy with the hotel, as they seemed to hold an archaic business model, e.g., they charged for internet service which I thought was stupid, because even the most mom and pop motels across the country include that service for free. Plus, parking was $34.00 a night, which I suppose is the going rate for downtown, but it pissed me off anyway. The Bona Vista lounge at the top of the hotel was interesting. It is a rotating bar, offering you a 360 degree view of Los Angeles each hour. That was fun.

Next time, more time will be my own. But I knew that going in.

I also realized something on this trip. I need to get in shape....

No comments: